Sunday, January 23, 2011

Just Found

I was looking through what I have, and just found this poem.  I don't remember writing it - sounds pretentious, I know.  I figured it might as well be on here.  I will put some more poems from other writers on here soon as well, I promise.



Now I'm Free 
by Matt Catania 


I have seen the west
I wish I was younger with the same mind
I am not scared like I was then
not even two years ago when the thought
of moving away from home was
losing your family and home -
the world leaving you completely alone.
Now I’m practically begging to go
I wish I was younger with the same mind.
I want to start again, and
again and again
I want to start in every state
north and south, east and west
even through Canada to Alaska.  I want
my life to never stop being beginnings
now with my mind dying
to discover new things.
I was scared to stick my head out
I wanted to stay inside and look out the window.
I shed that thinking now.  Old skin.
I want my young skin with my new mind.
My mind isn’t so gray anymore.  It’s white.  With new
pink skin.  I have come to believe
the beginnings of everything might be the greatest things
with only a few exceptions that get better with age.
Love is an exception.
I want to keep my old love.  It keeps itself new.
I lust for a beginning, as lust is nothing but beginnings.
I don’t want that window anymore.  I want to drive
under those perfect sunsets again; only this time
I will follow them for the sunrise.  I won’t follow them
just to sleep.

I want to have my freshman year at every college.
I want those new eyes I once had, and to have them everywhere.
I am ready to begin every day.
I am still young, with a new mind.
I am ready to begin - if only I could get away.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment