Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My First Sonnet

I know my poems are not always the greatest, and this just might be the proof; the real reason I wanted to show this poem is because it was my first serious attempt at a poem.  I have at least four full pages of my first journal dedicated to writing this one sonnet, and though the finished product might not be so amazing, the passion and dedication put into making this poem was pretty remarkable, especially for me and where I was in my life in 2004.  Hopefully someday I'll actually be able to scan and show the pages of the work I put into this, but for now just amuse yourself with the finished product:



Love's Melody 
 by Matt Catania 

Perhaps this is the way that love begins:
A fearless passion that would inspire
a whirlwind of all the greatest sensations - 
the wanting heart beats hard with desire!
Yet carnal emotions dare not explain
love's full, bright candor or dark enclave.
Our greatest fear will forever remain
The bane of despair we ceaselessly crave:
to sing forever with passion and grace
a love song only one other can sing.
A song that all could not help but embrace;
such music sublime two true in love bring!
     A love song begins with one's hopeful tone;
     true love songs are never finished alone.



I hope you enjoyed that as much as it embarrasses me to put it on this.  Laughing to myself right now, I know it's more important to try to explain that actually deciding to dedicate yourself to something you love or love to do is sometimes just as, maybe even more important than, the finished product, and though I may not have done that as well as I wanted to, I know I at least said it!  Enjoy your own dedication, and never forget about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment