Monday, March 28, 2011

Sampling With Stanza and Meter

One day, possibly, this blog will open up to more people, and lots of different works will be on this - works that will help all involved make some difference in this world we live in.  For now, I am content with putting on work I've made, and some of my favorite poems.  I know it's been a little lopsided, but I will change that soon.  For now, this is my attempt to play with an iambic tetrameter with a Spenserian stanza. 


The Song of 'I'
by Matt Catania


The winds’ first song blows swiftly by.
Its music is so sweet to hear
and steady as a mountain high.
The cool, crisp gust brings eyes to tear-
but others cannot listen here.
They hear each other wail and moan!
Such company betrays the ear:
I like it when I am alone.
It’s far more fair to be alone.

The pairs hold hands and speak in tongues
and softly hold each other close
to feel the heat from lovers lungs.
A sadness fills my heart for those
who settle with that life they chose.
I flee to nature’s dulcet tone
beyond the jagged tongues of foes.
I like it when I am alone.
It’s far more fair to be alone.

But oh- how tender their embrace:
an mmm… the touch of lips: a kiss;
How satisfying love must taste!
A touch of tongue electric; this
excited rush of limpid bliss!
If only they could learn to hone
their hearts to hear… but-  I digress.
It’s just as fair to be alone.
I like it when I am alone.

The wind is all the love I need
(but I can never hold the wind.)
That peace I found is all I need
(but I can never kiss the wind.)
The subtle songs of silence blend
to lesser lovely light unknown!
(forgive my heart, it never sinned…)
- I like it when I am alone.
It’s just as fair to be alone.




The wind could never break my heart
(it doesn’t have a heart to break.)
The peace it brings will never part
(nor does it give a love to take.)
But… tangent love I cannot make
from that content I’ve always known!
(I fear I’ve made a grave mistake…)
I like it that I am alone?!
It’s not as fair to be alone!!!






The pairs, they move along the shore
sublime beneath the twilight sky.
A lonely man finds peace no more –
How slow… the years… they pass me by.
A soft, swift wind, and flask of rye.
The song, it plays a different tone.
The empty requiem of ‘I’:
“I like it that I am alone.
It’s just as fair to be alone.”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment